Friday, December 26

Wal-Mart

an exercise in verbs, <250

Who would guess the day after Christmas, Wal-Mart would have Valentine candy on display? Madness! I wonder what poor sap was up all night filling the shelves with next season’s commercialism… Cart full, it’s time to make my exit. But which line? I am over 20 items. Twice the intercom lady pleaded for more checkers, and I can testify that the lines are indeed long. Ah ha! This line has only two shoppers and a youthful checker. I’ll take it. I am susceptible to choosing slow lines in disguise, but have learned the art of patience, and distraction. Time passing, I concede and reevaluate my choice. The clueless dude in front of me has a dense cart and a chatty wife. Peeved, I turn to my magazines.

Finally, a narrow strip on the belt for my groceries. Grouping my items by category, I notice the gentleman behind me glancing at my cookbook. While the wife and checker converse over the size and price of filets, I decide to be friendly and share some cupcake pictures. He is amazed with the fluffy dog faces made of candy and frosting; meanwhile, I ponder that I don’t bake.

“Nope, that’s my buttermilk!” The absentminded checker nearly foiled my pancake plans. Backtracking the milk, she finalized the couple’s bill and handed them a two foot long receipt. I have judged this gal unable to check and talk simultaneously; I will keep it curt. Another $100 Wal-Mart donation and I’m outta here!

No comments: