The large, red, metal structure thingy just off the freeway has always been a mystery. Was it mechanical? Was it art? Then I heard it was part of a sculpture park, and I have recently been on the trail that leads to it. The trail is called Miner's Ravine and it runs parallel to creek almost the entire way.
Twice now I've been on the Miner's Ravine trail, today riding end to end, as far as I can tell. Based on the signage it was roughly 3.8 miles one way. And going back is with the stream so it's all sloped down. :) (My father pointed this out to me when I was wondering why the return trip was so much faster...)
My first ride on Miner's Ravine was why I bought my bike. A beautiful, oak tree wood with a variety of wildflowers in bloom. All the grass was green and you could hear water trickling. Most serene and a short 15 minutes from my home.
I started at a park in old Roseville (Royer) and crossed several trail heads that I never knew were there, like behind the movie theater parking lot. It's amazing how much there is discover in your own back yard if you take the time to look. Like the veteran's memorial building across the street to the park. Or the Lion's club facility. Or the art building. Or even the library. And I eventually came to the sculpture park. An exciting moment that deflated as I realized the giant, red, metal structure and some small metal relief plates of animals were the only inhabitants of the park. Maybe I missed something, but I expected more, um, sculptures.
Who cares! What a lovely ride on my new bike!
And this weekend, I spent more on bike accessories than I have on bicycles. My car is now outfitted with a hitch and bike rack. I estimate I save 30 minutes of wrestling time getting my bike in and out of the car - an exercise that makes me grumpy and bruised. And thanks to the lovely men in my life, I now have the bikes proudly hanging up in my garage. I may get my car back in there yet!
I hit Miner's Ravine again today (with the new bike rack!) and it was again, lovely. I don't think it reached 80 degrees today. Lightly overcast, slight breeze. Some of the wildflowers had done bloomed their blooms, but the poppies were everywhere, and the grass and weeds were starting to brown as they always do for the summer. Some think it's an ugly landscape, but I appreciate the season (despite the fire hazard). It reminds me of my childhood adventures through trails and hills, beating down paths through nose-high, straw-like grass to hide out and play make believe.
I went further, longer and more aggressively today. Not sure what inspired me, but no doubt it will be fleeting...
Sunday, May 16
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment